Göreme Open Air Museum : Cappadocia in a nutshell
On the first day of our week long trip in Cappadocia, we decided to head to Göreme Open Air Museum and let me tell you : this is much better than your usual indoor museum.
For those of you who have never been to Cappadocia, Göreme Open Air Museum could also be called “Cappadocia in a nutshell”. This is the place to visit if you want to get a good overview of the area and its history in a short amount of time. With its fairy chimneys, breathtaking landscapes and churches from the 10th-12th centuries, the museum became a member of the UNESCO heritage list and it is well deserved.
We didn’t rent a car during our stay in Cappadocia and if you are staying like us in Göreme, you do not need one. Everything can be done by foot including walking to Göreme Open Air museum. (20 min walk from the center).
We arrived quite late in the morning at the museum and it was starting to get a little crowdy. You should definitely aim to visit the museum in the early morning or late afternoon during the summer season or do not expect to be alone on the site
The entrance fee was 15TL per person and not 8TL as advertised in the “blue guide”…
If you are running on a tight budget, you do not particularly need to hire a guide as every spot of interest has a display with a short description. However, I would warmly recommend you to grab a guide book of some kind to get the complete stories about the churches’ frescoes. It is the most interesting part.
As an option you can choose to visit the Karanlik church (extra 5TL). My advice on it : Do it! This is the most beautiful church of the museum and incredibly well preserved. You will not regret it.
It is worth knowing that your Göreme Open air Museum ticket can also be used to visit the Tokali church (across the road).
Tips about visiting Göreme Open Air Museum
- During the peak season (summer) : aim to visit in the early morning or late afternoon
- This is an open air museum : dress accordingly and take plenty of water if you are visiting during the summer.
- Photograph lovers : it is forbidden to take pictures inside the churches to not damage the frescoes.
- The museum offers facilities (bathrooms, shops, restaurant) and is accessible for wheelchairs/strollers.
- Perfect for everyone and especially families. Children (and adults) can run around and explore the churches’ maze. Everyone is in for a fun day!
Where to find Göreme Open air Museum
Göreme Open Air Museum : monster?
Am I the only one seeing the rock shaped as a monster face?
Discover new places around the world for free!
Sign up and receive free updates directly to your mailbox. It is also a good way to support this blog.